- Cook rice:
- Wash rice until water runs clear using a sieve.
- Add 1 1/3 c water. Cook on high with the lid on, until the pot boils.
- Reduce heat to low and take off the lid. Boil the rice until it is dry. Watch carefully.
- It is best not to stir it.
- Test the rice by squishing a grain against the back of a spoon. If there is no hard bit in the middle, it is cooked.
Fruity Muffins (makes 12)
2 c flour
4 t baking powder
½ t salt
½ c sugar
100 g butter
1 c milk
1 apple grated
Topping for muffins
*½ t cinnamon
1. Turn oven on to 220 degrees C
2. Sieve flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Stir in the sugar.
3. Melt butter in microwave (in plastic jug) for 35 seconds.
4. Add the milk and egg to the butter. Beat to combine.
5. Prepare the fruit.
6. Measure the *sugar and *cinnamon into a cup and mix together.
7. Add the liquid ingredients and fruit to the dry ingredients. Mix with a spoon until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
8. Oil muffin pans.
9. Place spoonfuls of mixture into pans, filling each about 3/4 full.
10. Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mixture over the muffins.
11. Place in oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until muffins spring back when pressed in the centre.
12. Remove from the oven, stand for 2-3 minutes, then twist carefully to loosen before lifting from the pan and putting on a cooling rack.
Koftas with Chilli Tomato Sauce (serves two)
½ slice fresh bread, crusts removed
¼ egg, beaten
150g minced beef or lamb
¼ onion, grated.
1 clove garlic crushed.
¼ t each: ground cumin, coriander
1 D chopped parsley
Two kebab sticks ( koftas can be grilled with out kebab sticks if you prefer)
Chilli Tomato Sauce
Combine together in a small bowl:
2 T tomato sauce 2 T chilli sauce
1. Soak bamboo kebab sticks in water.
2. Soak the bread in the beaten egg.
3. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend well or mix thoroughly in a bowl with clean hands.
4. Shape mixture into eight balls.
5. Mould each ball around a kebab stick to make a sausage shape.
6. Preheat the grill.
7. Cook koftas on an oiled grill plate, turning occasionally until browned all over and cooked through.
8. Serve with Chilli Tomato Sauce, Couscous (recipe below) and a fresh green salad or if not cooked on kebab sticks serve in lettuce lined pita pockets with sauce and hummus.
Couscous is made from semolina and wheat that has been rubbed together. It has a mild, earthy taste and is an ideal base for salads, side dishes and in spicy Middle Eastern dishes.
1/3 c couscous
1/3 c boiling water
¼ t olive oil 1 clove garlic chopped
½ t grated lemon rind
½ t lemon juice
1 T freshly chopped parsley, coriander or mint.
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine couscous, boiling water and oil in a heatproof bowl.
2. Leave to stand for 5 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
3. Fluff with a fork.
4. Add the remaining ingredients and toss with a fork to combine.
Wild Green Salad (serves two)
2T olive oil
- Measure the first five ingredients into a large bowl with 1 cup of the measured flour and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and leave for 15 minutes, or longer in a warm place.
- Stir in the remaining flour adding extra if necessary, to make a dough just firm enough to knead. Knead by hand on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes adding extra flour if necessary, until the dough forms a soft ball and springs back when lightly touched.
- Turn dough in 2-3 of oil in the cleaned dry bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm draught free place for about 30 minutes. Knead the risen dough lightly then shape.
- Roll dough into thin circles, according to the number of pizzas you require. Place on a well oiled baking tray.
- Add your favourite toppings and bake at 225 degrees C until the underside is brown.
Pizza with baking powder base (serves 2)
1/2 c milk
1 T oil
1 c flour
1 t baking powder
In a measuring cup combine:
1 T tomato paste
1 T water
1/4 t dried oregano
1/2 onion finely chopped
2 slices ham chopped
1/4 c crushed pineapple
1/2 tomato sliced
1 c grated cheese
1. Put the oven rack just below the middle. Turn oven onto bake and 220 C
2. Put the milk and oil in a medium sized bowl and mix well
3. Sieve in the flour and baking powder and mix with the fork, then your hand, into a ball.
4. Spray the oven tray with oil spray or rub with butter
5. Roll out the dough on to tray until it is 30 cm round. Fold in edges all around.
6. Mix tomato paset with water and oreganum and spread evenly on your pizza base.
7. Cover with onion, ham, pineapple and tomato, then sprinkle grated cheese over the top.
8. Bake for 12 minutes or until it looks golden brown underneath.
Fried Rice (serves two)
- Rinse rice under cold water to remove excess starch.
- Place rice in a saucepan and add water. Bring to boil
- Lower the heat and simmer very gently with the lid on for 15minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes before removing the lid.
- Spread rice on a tray and allow to cool. Cover and refrigerate over night. Use the next day or freeze in a container.
- Heat 2t oil in a frying pan on low.
- Add the beaten eggs. Swirl the eggs in the pan and cook until set. Transfer to a board, roll up and cut into thin rounds.
- Heat another 2t oil in the frying pan and add the rice and garlic. Stir-fry for 2 minutes until all the grains are separated.
- Add the cooked egg, mixed vegetables, and spring onion and stir-fry for just long enough to heat through.
- Add soy sauce, stir through and then serve.